Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Sanctimony of Polyanna

Four months in a daze. Eyes shut, hands clenched over my ears, and all the while singing "La la la" in the naïve hope that once I freed my senses everything would appear sunshine and roses. The problems of the planet proven to be no more that the result of some vivid hypnogogic hallucination. A paranoid delusion, dementia, or self induced psychosis I could cure by playing chess and drinking green tea laced with ginko biloba.

So I’ve awoken from my stupor feeling relatively non-plussed. Seems perhaps it wasn’t all just a bad dream. Still the same dark world in which The Merchant of Death, inventor of dynamite and weapons manufacturer, has a peace prize named after him and poor Vylacheslav Molotov has a cocktail for a namesake.

(Am I the only one still patiently awaiting an English translation of Nemesis?)

A world of joy and happiness. Sorrow and despair. Feelings and emotions. Fully treatable diseases of the mind – All you need is the right prescription and a willing pusher.

But how to medicate the mice? The newest plague of emotionally cognizant critters possessing the ability to empathize with those who are suffering. How long before we are forced to manufacture Prozac ‘n Cheddar infusions to treat a surge of suicidal rodents?

Ahh… Mollify the masses. Supply tryptophan for the soul. Let them eat turkey.

(Bloody cannibals… yet not quite anthropophagites.)

I tried sobriety for a bit. I found work to be boring, monotonous, and generally unchallenging. Friends seemed lame and vulgar and not nearly as funny as I remembered. Soft drinks were far too sweet. Smoking didn’t seem like such a good idea anymore. And I wasn’t as brilliant and charming.

I fell off the wagon, got up, dusted myself off, chased it down, and burned the damn thing to the ground.

11 Comments:

Blogger LeeLoreya said...

dude, if you stop addiction you stop surviving and start living, which makes death more distant and less comforting. All in all, bad choice.

2:38 PM  
Blogger darkmuze said...

Welcome Back.

10:54 PM  
Blogger extraspecialbitter said...

Sobriety as a lifestyle is extremely overrated.

Welcome back, fellow wanderer.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Vexation said...

S&M: The difference between living and surviving. Most don't realize there is a difference.

Darkmuse: Thank you. So nice to be back.

ESB: Terribly overrated. I don't know how people do it. And thank you.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Credit mortgage rate Borrowing from 401k plan Mortgage refinancing carolina south Via internet mastercard xga dlp projectors dietary supplements for training Minivan rental scotland Vitamin c pictures of the nutant Secured visa and master cards israel singapore singapore singapore email webhost Naked news sports report Fire alarm shelburne falls secured credit cards southwest florida scottish unsecured credit card Mendecino bed & breakfast http://www.digital-photo-printing-5.info/baseball.html Hot tub rental montreal apply for a gas card poor credit Business phones in moccasin ca Ranking of dokkyo university

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Lexus ls400 front floor mats lamictal and it used for Gearbox renault master n reg Gowica renault 1 9d

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read here

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been bгowsing on-line greater than three hours nowadays, yet Ι by no means found any interestіng article like yours.
It's pretty price sufficient for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the net might be much more useful than ever before.

my homepage: make money fast on the internet

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so awesome! I don't belіeνе I've truly read a single thing like this before. So great to find another person with some genuine thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that's needed on the ωeb, somеone with a bit оf originality!


My hοmepage :: miracle garcinia cambogia side effects

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It'ѕ lovely ωorth sufficiеnt for me.

In my vіеw, if аll websitе oωneгs and bloggеrs made exсellent cоntent
materіаl аs уou probably did, the
web will likely be a lot more helpful than eveг bеfore.


Heгe іs mу web ρage car insurance quotes compare the market

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.